Monday, November 09, 2009

Bed Resting

I was going to write something cautionary about not declaring that you've made any kind of emotional progress toward feeling adjusted and optimistic (a la my last post), lest you tempt fate, as it seems I did. But what's the point? I'm here, on bed rest, and we're okay. The baby and I. That is the important thing.

Here's what went down: I get to work last Wednesday morning and discover blood in underwear. Assume due to complete placenta previa that I think I still have (follow-up ultrasound was scheduled for Friday). Freak. Speed to doctor's office. Sent for monitoring at attached hospital. Transferred by ambulance (good times) to academic medical center downtown (NICU supports 28-week preemies). Hooked up to more monitors. Brought down to ultrasound. Previa discovered to be resolved (shock and wonder: then what is causing the bleeding?). Bleeding seems to have stopped. Transferred to lower-key floor for monitoring overnight. Bleeding resumes that night, intensifies in morning. Brought back down to Labor & Delivery. More monitoring. Baby looks beautiful entire time – blissfully unaware of drama. Bleeding seems to stop again. Brought back to low-key floor for more overnight monitoring. Released from hospital late Friday to bed rest at home. Where I've remained.

The experience was terrifying – I'm sure I don't need to describe that in detail. I don't think I've ever felt more vulnerable or out of control. Now that I'm home, I am calmer and more confident, but I still have moments of trepidation. We don't know why I bled, though the diagnosis when they don't know is almost always a placental abruption. So now the goal is to get me as far along in the pregnancy as possible, barring (knock wood) more bleeding. My doctor even said this morning that if I go to full term I could have a regular delivery. Nothing sounds better to me. A regular delivery, after so much irregularity.

Until then, just hoping and praying that things stay quiet, that this little boy stays healthy and that I, somehow, am able to stay distracted, calm and positive.

12 comments:

Kate said...

Thankfully you're past the 28 week part, which is probably the biggest milestone for a preemie. Hopefully if this happens again, he'll continue to be quite oblivious to it all. But I hope that'll be it for the bleeding excitement for you! Must be time for some boring bedrest.

Anonymous said...

Wow - that sounds incredibly frightening. I'm glad to hear that the baby looks fine through everything and that it sounds like things are on the right track, but sorry you had to go through that.

I'm keeping you in my thoughts and hoping that the little guy stays quiet and tucked away right up until the time of his scheduled appearance.

-Callie

Paula Keller said...

That sounds so scary! Glad the baby seems to be doing fine. I hope the rest of your pregnancy is blissfully boring. :)

Ashley said...

WOW! Why can't we have "normal" pregnancies;) I'm so glad that you and the baby are okay! Please keep us updated. ((HUGS))

Lizzie said...

So scary. Glad you and the babe are ok. Will be thinking of you. My sis was on bedrest for a long time, made it to a fullterm normal delivery. Hoping the same for you. xo

Lizzie said...

So scary. Glad you and the babe are ok. Will be thinking of you. My sis was on bedrest for a long time, made it to a fullterm normal delivery. Hoping the same for you. xo

Michelle said...

How absolutely terrifying. I am so sorry but I am glad that the baby is doing well and you are back at home. I am sending you nothing but good thoughts, lots of prayers, and many hugs!

Anonymous said...

That must have been so frightening for you. I'm glad you're back at home at least in your own bed. I guess at this point you gotta do what the doctor prescribes and keep still. Hoping that this was just some freak phase and that you get through this ok.

Dianne said...

Oh wow, what a scary weekend. I am so glad that you and baby are ok!!

Anonymous said...

Oh Egg, how scary! I am so sorry you had to go through that, but I'm so glad to hear that you and baby are both doing well now. Bleeding and hospitals and ambulances, oh my goodness!
I'm hoping and praying that you and the baby stay resting and healthy for a good long time, and that you get to have a regular delivery.

kirke said...

I'm so happy that the previa moved, but seriously...like you really needed all the additional stress!! I hope from here on out it is simply relaxing and watching guilty pleasure t.v.

Amanda said...

Wow, you just can't catch a break! I hope it's not an abruption and hopefully that bleeding stays gone. Bed rest sucks but worth it if it helps. I hope you have some activities to keep you entertained and your next appointments go well.