Sunday, May 24, 2009

Climber

The news from my second beta on Friday was good: it climbed to 902 from 212, which means it more than quadrupled, or more than doubled twice, in three days (further confirmation that this process is really sharpening my math skills). The nurse sounded pleased, and told me to come back next Thursday for an early ultrasound, during which they'll confirm that the pregnancy is in my uterus.

Here's the thing, I told her. The horrid experience of my last pregnancy ultrasound left me with PTSD. I simply cannot imagine getting up on that table for another one without a stiff drink, a valium or a trusted medical professional like my doctor in the room. Since the first two options are clearly out and she told me my doctor doesn't do ultrasounds, my nurse volunteered to come in with us on Thursday, and for the subsequent u/s to see the heartbeat. She's my favorite nurse, and I find her almost as calming as my doctor, so I did not hesitate to take her up on it. So that commotion in the ultrasound room next Thursday morning? That will be me and my cheering section collectively looking for a black blob (or two?) on the screen.

Here's how I feel: terrified, thrilled, bloated, awed, constantly starving and thirsty, panicked and over the moon. Whoever said you could finally relax and stop worrying obsessively when you got a positive pregnancy test is a big, fat liar. And, given what a worrywart I am, whoever (for example, the overzealous nurse at my transfer -- not my regular nurse -- who also said I should avoid ice cream, decaf coffee and most other foods you might consider consuming in modern life) said you must be relaxed at all times in order to get and stay pregnant is equally big, fat and liarish.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hurrah! Congratulations!

Mo said...

Excellent news!!!! Hope to follow in your footsteps tomorrow : )

Mo

Ashley said...

That's AWESOME!!! I'm betting on twins since your numbers are so high;) It's good to know that I'm not the only one worrying!!! WE WILL GET THROUGH THIS!!! Good luck Thursday. I go back Thursday also but only for another beta. I will be thinking of you!

Minta said...

I'm so happy for you!!! I hope all goes well at your ultrasound.

bunny said...

Yes! Yes ! Yes!

Unknown said...

That's so nice of your nurse to join you. I know the ultrasounds are scary, but I really believe you'll get some wonderful reassurance with each one this time around.

Anonymous said...

Ooh, you definitely have twins in there! I'm glad that your favorite nurse will be there with you at the ultrasound.

I drove myself crazy in the wait for that first ultrasound. There is really nothing I can say that will keep you from worrying, after all that you have been through. I hope that you get beautiful reassurance at the ultrasound. In all likelihood, everything will be fine this time, but that doesn't stop any of us that have gone through IF and loss from worrying.

No ice cream? Why on earth would she tell a pregnant woman to avoid ice cream? That's just mean!

Anonymous said...

what a beautiful number! congrats! i had my doc and my favorite nurse in the room for my viability scan too, i needed lots of support. having trusted folks there to celebrate with you will be wonderful! :)

Anonymous said...

Great news on the beta! I'm glad your favorite nurse is going to be with you for the ultrasound. I'm praying for some gorgeous blob(s) on the screen!

-Callie

Jamie said...

Congrats on the great beta!! I know all about u/s PTSD. That is soooo nice of your nurse! Although vodka would be nice as well. :)

I can't wait to hear your good news!

Minta said...

How did the u/s go? I'm hoping that it went perfectly and you saw your one (or two) perfect black blobs.